Saturday, August 8, 2009

trash.

As I took out my trash last night I was attacked.

I threw the first bag into the dumpster and heard a rustling noise. I immediately backed away and was convinced that the noise was caused either by a cougar or a hiding man. Then a rather hefty raccoon jumped out, heading directly for me. I, of course, waved my bag of trash in it's direction to ward of the impending danger and let out a little scream. When did I become such a girl?

The interesting thing is that I didn't scream until I saw that it was a raccoon even though a raccoon is clearly not as scary as a cougar or a man.

My sheer size must have intimidated the raccoon. It scampered away and ran for the fence but it couldn't fit under the fence it's first try so I guess I should have said it ran into the fence. The second escape attempt was successful and that was the last I saw of the raccoon although it's presence haunted me for the better part of the night.

I tell this story as a warning to everyone everywhere to look out for oversized raccoons when you take out the trash as to use his or her size to his or her advantage if found in a similar situation in the future.

3 comments: